Wednesday 16 December 1970
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Tears Of A Clown by Smokey Robinson.
In UK I Hear You Knocking by Dave Edmunds was in the top 5 hits.
Rio Lobo, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while Islands In The Stream by Ernest Hemingway was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 December 1970!
Which were the important events of 16 December 1970 ?
- R.C. Saints - O Sapientia ; Adelaide of Italy
- South Africa - Day of Reconciliation
- Nepal - Constitution Day (To be confirmed)
- Kazakhstan - Independence Day
- Bahrain - National Day
- Bangladesh - Victory Day
Famous Birthdays:16 December
- 1st successful landing on Venus (USSR)
- New Jersey State Lottery begins sale of 50-cent tickets in a weekly lottery on a drawn 6-digit number. This is a big improvement over monthly and higher cost lotteries of New Hampshire and New York.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- The Ethiopian government declares a state of emergency in the county of Eritrea over the activities of the Eritrean Liberation Front.
- General Secretary of the Polish Communist Party, Władysław Gomułka, resigns Edward Gierek replaces him.
- An Egyptian delegation leaves for Moscow to ask for economic and military aid.
- The Libyan Revolutionary Council declares that it will nationalize all foreign banks in the country.
- Franz Stangl, the ex-commander of Treblinka, is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- The Polish government freezes food prices for 2 years.
- The Bolivian government releases Régis Debray.
- The North Tower of the World Trade Center is topped out at 1,368 feet (417nbspm), making it the tallest building in the world.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Smokey Robinson - The Tears Of A Clown
- George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
- The 5th Dimension - One Less Bell To Answer
- The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You
- Santana - Black Magic Woman
- Dawn - Knock Three Times
- The Supremes - Stoned Love
- Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
- Brian Hyland - Gypsy Woman
- Badfinger - No Matter What
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?