Thursday 16 December 1971
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kristen Kane in Jacksonville and Catherine "Cathy" Symon in Washington DC.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Family Affair by Sly & The Family Stone.
In UK Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West) by Benny Hill was in the top 5 hits.
Dirty Harry, directed by Don Siegel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Day Of The Jackal by Frederick Forsyth was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The View from Daniel Pike.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Computer Space or Galaxy Game.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 December 1971!
Which were the important events of 16 December 1971 ?
- R.C. Saints - O Sapientia ; Adelaide of Italy
- South Africa - Day of Reconciliation
- Nepal - Constitution Day (To be confirmed)
- Kazakhstan - Independence Day
- Bahrain - National Day
- Bangladesh - Victory Day
- Kristen Kane in Jacksonville: Florida, USA; diver (Olympics-1996).
- Catherine "Cathy" Symon in Washington DC: USA; rower (Olympics-1996).
- Michael S McCary [Boss] in Philadelphia: Pennsylvania, USA; rapper (Boyz II Men).
- Stéphane Plantin: French handball player, a right winger, world champion with the French team in 2001.
- Kim Porter: Family Member.
- Shigeki Hosokawa: Japanese model and actor
- Seyhan Kurt: French-Turkish poet and sociologist
- Michael McCary: American singer-songwriter (Boyz II Men)
- Paul van Dyk: German DJ and producer
- Bangladesh War of Independence and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: The surrender of the Pakistan army brings an end to both conflicts.
- ''National Day'' of the Kingdom of Bahrain is celebrated. Not to be confused with Bahrain Independence Day which took place on August 15, 1971.
- ''Victory Day of Bangladesh'': The Pakistan Army in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) surrenders to the Indian Armed Forces, ending the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- The U.S. dollar is devalued for the second time in history.
- The world's largest hydroelectric plant in Krasnoyarsk, Soviet Union, begins operations.
- The Clube Atletico Mineiro wins the Brazil Football Championship.
- Intelsat IV (F3) is launched it enters commercial service over the Atlantic Ocean February 18, 1972.
- Giovanni Leone is elected President of the Italian Republic.
- Juliane Koepcke survives a fall of 10,000 feet following disintegration of LANSA Flight 508.
- In the longest game in NFL history, the Miami Dolphins beat the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Fire at a 22-story hotel in Seoul, South Korea kills 158 people.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sly & The Family Stone - Family Affair
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her
- Three Dog Night - An Old Fashioned Love Song
- Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
- Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft
- Bread - Baby I'm-A Want You
- Sonny & Cher - All I Ever Need Is You
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- David Cassidy - Cherish
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?