Friday 16 December 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Shaktimaan Animated.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden or Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 December 2011 ?
- R.C. Saints - O Sapientia ; Adelaide of Italy
- South Africa - Day of Reconciliation
- Nepal - Constitution Day (To be confirmed)
- Kazakhstan - Independence Day
- Bahrain - National Day
- Bangladesh - Victory Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 December
- Tropical Storm Washi causes 1,268 flash flood fatalities in the Philippines with 85 people officially listed as missing.ref name=quotwashi officialquot
- At least 10 die as the protesters in Zhanaozen, Kazakhstan, clash with police on the country's Independence Day. (''The Telegraph'')
- Syrian troops reportedly open fire on anti-government protesters following Friday prayers. (AP via Google)
- Clashes take place between pro-democracy protesters and security forces in Cairo, Egypt. (Al Jazeera)
- Human Rights Watch calls on Bahrain to release political prisoners from the 2011 Bahraini uprising. (UPI)
- Four people are injured in two grenade attacks in Garissa, northern Kenya. (IOL)
- At least two people die in clashes between demonstrators and Egyptian Army soldiers in Cairo. (Reuters)
- Russia joins the World Trade Organization. (BBC)
- European credit ratings:
- Fitch Ratings lowers France's rating outlook while maintaining a AAA rating and puts the grades of six nations including Spain and Italy on review due to Europe's failure to find a solution to the debt problem. (Bloomberg via ''Business Week'')
- Moody's Investors Service downgrades Belgium's credit rating two notches to Aa3. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- The stock price of Research in Motion, the maker of BlackBerry smart phones, falls after the release of disappointing quarterly numbers and news of the delay of expected product upgrades. (''Christian Science Monitor'')
- Japan declares the stricken Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in cold shutdown. (Kyodo)
- The death toll from an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease in Vietnam reaches 156 with 96,000 people having been sick with the disease as at the end of November 2011. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- The United States and North Korea are expected to hold diplomatic talks regarding North Korea's nuclear program. The talks are the first meeting after the six-party talks stalled in 2008. (Yonhap News)
- Russian customs seize radioactive material bound for Iran. (AFP via Google)
- Hollywood actor Christian Bale is prevented from visiting Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng by police. (Reuters)
- Colton Harris-Moore, the so-called ampquotBarefoot Banditampquot, pleads guilty to dozens of charges in the US state of Washington and is sentenced to seven years in jail. (''People'')
- Star baseball player Barry Bonds is sentenced to 30 days of home detention on obstruction of justice charges following misleading evidence about steroid use. (ESPN)
- Thailand reissues a passport for Thaksin Shinawatra, saying he is no longer a ampquotthreatampquot. (Channel NewsAsia)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 December 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?