Thursday 16 January 1919
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Auction of Souls, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse by Vicente Blasco Ibanez was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1919.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1919!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1919 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Bob Boucher: Kent, Ohio -- Orchestra leader (Music on Ice).
- Jerome Horwitz: American chemist and academic (d. 2012).
- Prohibition ratified by 3 / 4 of states; Nebraska is 36th
- Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- World War I: A peace conference opens in Versailles, France.
- Bentley Motors is founded in England.
- The First Dáil Éireann meets in the Mansion House in Dublin.
- An ambush of the police at Soloheadbeg marks the beginning of the Irish War of Independence.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1919 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- They'll Be Mighty Proud in Dixie of Their Old Black Joe - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell
- Beautiful Ohio - Prince's Orchestra
- Al Jolson - Tell That to the Marines
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?