Saturday 16 January 1943
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Tarzan Triumphs, directed by William Thiele, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1943!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1943 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Gavin Bryars: English composer and double bassist.
- Brian Ferneyhough: English-American composer and academic.
- Ronnie Milsap: Country Singer.
- Robert Gladstein: American ballet master since 1975 and choreographer of over 23 ballets.
- Franz Courtens: Flemish Painter (Sunny Lane), dies at 88.
- 1st US air raid on Ambon
- Red Army recaptures Pitomnik airport at Stalingrad
- First US air raid on Ambon.
- German 2nd SS-Panzer division evacuates Charkow.
- -60 degrees F (-51 degrees C), Island Park Dam, Idaho (state record).
- Iraq declares war on the Axis
- WWII: Soviet officials announce they have broken the Wehrmacht's siege of Leningrad.
- The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising begins.
- WWII: British forces capture Tripoli from the Italians.
- Duke Ellington plays at New York City's Carnegie Hall for the first time.
- Critic and commentator Alexander Woollcott suffers an eventually fatal heart attack during a regular broadcast of the CBS Radio roundtable program ampquotPeople's Platformampquot.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1943 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 January 1943 and get them!