Friday 16 January 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
I Walk Alone, directed by Byron Haskin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1948!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1948 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Anatoli Yakovlevich Solovyov: Riga, Russia -- Cosmonaut (TM-5, 9, 15, 26, STS 71).
- Christopher Moran: English financier / multi-millionaire.
- John Carpenter in Carthage: New York, USA; director (Halloween, The Thing).
- John Carpenter: American director of "Dark Star" 1974, "Halloween" 1978 and "Starman" 1984.
- Gregor Gysi: German attorney and key politician of the socialist left-wing political party The Left (Die Linke).
- Ruth Reichl: American writer, the author of "Tender at the Bone," 1998 and "Comfort Me with Apples," Reichl is the editor in chief of Gourmet magazine, formerly a restaurant critic at The New York Times, and a former food editor and restaurant critic at the Los Angeles Times.
- Ants Laaneots: Estonian general
- Dalvanius Prime: New Zealand singer-songwriter (d. 2002)
- Cliff Thorburn: Canadian snooker player
- 35 Haganah members are ambushed and killed in Gush Etzyon.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1948 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Buddy Clark - Ballerina
- Too Fat Polka - Two-Ton Baker
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?