Friday 16 January 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
I Walk Alone, directed by Byron Haskin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
while The Big Fisherman by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1948!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1948 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Ants Laaneots: Estonian general.
- Dalvanius Prime: New Zealand singer-songwriter (d. 2002).
- Cliff Thorburn: Canadian snooker player.
- Anatoli Yakovlevich Solovyov: Riga, Russia -- Cosmonaut (TM-5, 9, 15, 26, STS 71).
- Christopher Moran: English financier / multi-millionaire.
- John Carpenter in Carthage: New York, USA; director (Halloween, The Thing).
- Gregor Gysi: German attorney and key politician of the socialist left-wing political party The Left (Die Linke). He was the last leader of the Socialist Unity Party of Germany, and led the effort that transformed it into the post-Communist Party of Democratic Socialism (PDS), forerunner of The Left. He is well known for his rhetoric talent and is considered one of the best German public speakers.
- Ruth Reichl: American writer, the author of "Tender at the Bone," 1998 and "Comfort Me with Apples," Reichl is the editor in chief of Gourmet magazine, formerly a restaurant critic at The New York Times, and a former food editor and restaurant critic at the Los Angeles Times.
- John Carpenter: American director of "Dark Star" 1974, "Halloween" 1978 and "Starman" 1984. His movie, "Halloween," was produced on a budget of $300,000 and effectively grossed $60 million, making this movie the most profitable independent production of its day. Carpenter co-wrote the screenplay and composed the music score of this and the succeeding five sequels to "Halloween."
- 35 Haganah members are ambushed and killed in Gush Etzyon.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1948 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Buddy Clark - Ballerina
- Too Fat Polka - Two-Ton Baker
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 January 1948 and get them!