Thursday 16 January 1969
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by Marmalade was in the top 5 hits.
Pierrot le Fou, directed by Jean-Luc Godard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1969
while Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1969!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1969 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Per Yngve ''Dead'' Ohlin: Swedish black metal vocalist (Mayhem) (d. 1991).
- Neil Back: English rugby player and coach.
- Marinus Bester: German footballer.
- Stevie Jackson: Scottish guitarist and songwriter (Belle and Sebastian and The Vaselines).
- : Swedish singer-songwriter (Mayhem and Morbid) (d. 1991).
- Rich Ward: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Fozzy Stuck Mojo and Adrenaline Mob)
- Roy Jones in Pensacola: Florida, USA; light-middleweight boxer (Olympics-silver-1988).
- Chelan Kozak in Revelstoke: British Columbia, Canada; equestrian (Olympics-1996).
- Roy Jones: Pensacola, Florida -- Light-MW boxer (1988 Olympics - Silver Medalist)
- Soviet Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 perform 1st transfer of crew in space
- US President signs executive order establishing the Meritorious Service Medal.
- Czech student Jan Palach commits suicide by self-immolation in Prague, in protest against the Soviets' crushing of the Prague Spring the year before.
- Soviet spacecraft Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 perform the first-ever docking of manned spacecraft in orbit, the first-ever transfer of crew from one space vehicle to another, and the only time such a transfer was accomplished with a space walk.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1969 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson And Clover
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- Brooklyn Bridge - Worst That Could Happen
- Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- The Doors - Touch Me
- Young-Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut
- B.J. Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling
- Dusty Springfield - Son-Of-A Preacher Man
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 January 1969 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?