Thursday 16 July 1981
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes.
In UK Ghost Town by The Specials was in the top 5 hits.
Endless Love, directed by Franco Zeffirelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while Noble House by James Clavell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1981.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 1981!
Which were the important events of 16 July 1981 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Adam Elenbaas: American astrologer, practicing in Washington DC, founder of Nightlight Astrology.
- Zach Randolph: American basketball player.
- Maher Zain: R&B Singer.
- Giuseppe Di Masi: Italian footballer.
- Vicente Rodríguez: Spanish footballer.
- Harry Chapin: American songwriter, balladeer, trumpeter, guitarist.
- India performs nuclear Test
- Shukuni Sasaki spins 72 plates simultaneously.
- Mahathir bin Mohamad becomes Malaysia's 4th Prime Minister; his 22 years in office, ending with retirement on 31 October 2003, made him Asia's longest-serving political leader.
- July 21 ampndash England become the first team this century to win a test match after following on when they beat Australia by 18 runs at Headingley cricket ground, Leeds, England.
- Hyatt Regency walkway collapse: Two skywalks filled with people at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kansas City, Missouri collapse into a crowded atrium lobby, killing 114.
- Israeli aircraft bomb Beirut, destroying multi-story apartment blocks containing the offices of PLO associated groups, killing approximately 300 civilians and resulting in worldwide condemnation and a U.S. embargo on the export of aircraft to Israel.
- In Bolivia, General Luis Gracia Meza leads a bloody coup d'état against the elected government of Lidia Gayler.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
- George Harrison - All Those Years Ago
- Air Supply - The One That You Love
- Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - You Make My Dreams
- Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira
- Joey Scarbury - Theme From The Greatest American Hero (Believe It Or Not)
- Kenny Rogers - I Don't Need You
- Pointer Sisters - Slow Hand
- The Manhattan Transfer - Boy From New York City
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?