Thursday 16 July 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Orphan, directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 16 July 2009 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- A Ugandan study finds circumcising men who already have HIV does not protect their female partners from the virus. (BBC)
- A United Nations Security Council committee imposes further sanctions on North Korea. (Japan Today)
- China's GDP grows 7.9% year by year in the second quarter of 2009, despite the global economic crisis. (BBC)
- Gholam Reza Aghazadeh, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran and Vice President of Iran, resigns for unknown reasons. (Xinhua)
- Former South Korean President and Nobel Peace Prize winner Kim Dae-jung is in an intensive care unit in a Seoul hospital being treated for pneumonia. (BBC)
- President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov of Turkmenistan announces the latest stage of a plan to channel drainage water from the country's cotton fields through desert. (BBC)
- Iceland votes by a narrow majority to set in motion an application to join the European Union, after five days of debate. (''The Telegraph'')
- The Holy See acknowledges Oscar Wilde as a ampquotlucid analyst of the modern worldampquot, softening its hardline stance against the poet. (''The Guardian'')
- Interim Honduran President Roberto Micheletti says he is willing to step down, only if Jose Manuel Zelaya ceases his claim to the presidency. (AFP)
- Omar Bongo's son, Ali-Ben Bongo, is chosen to stand as the ruling party's presidential candidate in Gabon. (BBC)
- Chinese athletes withdraw from the opening ceremony of the World Games but say they will compete. (BBC)
- A magnitude 6.1 earthquake occurs off the coast of Papua New Guinea but causes little damage. (RTÉ)
- The 110-story Sears Tower in Chicago, United States is renamed the Willis Tower. (BBC)
- Zac Sunderland, at the age of 17, becomes the youngest person to sail around the world alone. (BBC)
- Madonna's concert in Marseille, France is cancelled after her stage collapses, killing one and injuring nine. (''The Telegraph'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
- Best I Ever Had - Drake
- Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
- Lady GaGa - LoveGame
- Sean Kingston - Fire Burning
- Birthday Sex - Jeremih
- Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
- Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
- Linkin Park - New Divide
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?