Sunday 16 June 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Mortal Storm, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 1940!
Which were the important events of 16 June 1940 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
- Hans Dorrestijn: Dutch cabaret performer.
- Māris Čaklais: Latvian poet writer and journalist (d. 2003).
- Neil Goldschmidt: American politician, the Mayor of Portland, OR in 1973 and appointed the Secretary of Transportation by President Carter in late-1979.
- General De Gaulle arrives in Bordeaux
- A Communist government is installed in Lithuania.
- World War II: Marshal Henri Philippe Petain becomes Premier of Vichy France.
- The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is held for the first time in Sturgis, South Dakota.
- The Soviet Army enters the Baltic states of Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia.
- WWII: Operation Ariel begins: Allied troops start to evacuate France, following Germany's takeover of Paris and most of the nation.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?