Friday 16 June 1961
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.
In UK Surrender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Guns of Navarone, directed by J. Lee Thompson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 1961!
Which were the important events of 16 June 1961 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
- Can Dündar: Turkish journalist and author.
- Steve Larmer: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Margus Metstak: Estonian basketball player and coach.
- Marcel Junod: Swiss physician and anesthesiologist (d. 1961).
- Dave Garroway is fired as Today Show host
- Discoverer 25 launched
- Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev defects to West in Paris, France.
- A Paris-to-Strasbourg train derails near Vitry-le-François 24 are killed, 109 injured.
- The New Democratic Party of Canada is founded with the merger of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) and the Canadian Labour Congress.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1961 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?