Friday 16 June 1972
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ann Shoket and Shawnelle Scott.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to The Candy Man by Sammy Davis Jr..
In UK Vincent by Don McLean was in the top 5 hits.
Ben, directed by Phil Karlson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching El Chavo del Ocho.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 1972!
Which were the important events of 16 June 1972 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
- Ann Shoket: American magazine editor.
- Shawnelle Scott: American basketball player: center, Cavaliers.
- John Cho: Korean-American actor.
- Simon Khan: English golfer.
- Red Army Faction member Ulrike Meinhof is captured by police in Langenhagen.
- The largest single-site hydro-electric power project in Canada is inaugurated at Churchill Falls, Labrador.
- 108 die as two passenger trains hit the debris of a collapsed railway tunnel near Soissons, France.
- Watergate scandal: Five White House operatives are arrested for burglarizing the offices of the Democratic National Committee.
- The United States returns Okinawa, occupied and governed since the World War II Battle of Okinawa, to Japan.
- Chilean president Salvador Allende forms a new government.
- Staines air disaster: 118 die when a Trident 1 jet airliner crashes 2 minutes after take off from London Heathrow Airport.
- West Germany beats the Soviet Union 3–0 to win Euro 72.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sammy Davis Jr. - The Candy Man
- The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There
- Neil Diamond - Song Sung Blue
- The Chi-Lites - Oh Girl
- Gallery - Nice To Be With You
- Billy Preston - Outa-Space
- Jimmy Castor - Troglodyte (Cave Man)
- The 5th Dimension - (Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All
- Dr. Hook - Sylvia's Mother
- Bill Withers - Lean On Me
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?