Monday 16 June 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Lollipop by Lil Wayne.
WALL·E, directed by Andrew Stanton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Jeffrey Zaslow was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 2008!
Which were the important events of 16 June 2008 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 June
- California performs its first legally recognized same-sex weddings.
- Chadian rebels take the town Biltine as they move toward the capital N'Djamena. (BBC News)
- Hundreds of Taliban militants swarm in the Arghandab District of Kandahar Province with the Afghan government sending reinforcements to the nearby city of Kandahar. (''The New York Times)
- Same-sex marriage in California comes into effect following a court ruling on May 15, 2008. (Reuters)
- Tiger Woods defeats Rocco Mediate in a playoff to win the 2008 U.S. Open Golf Championship. (AP via ''The New York Times'')
- The European Union agrees to tougher sanctions against Iran for its alleged nuclear weapons program with the United Kingdom freezing assets of Iran's largest bank Bank Melli. (AP via Google News)
- France announces plans to cut 54,000 defense jobs and push for a stronger European Security and Defence Policy as part of a new defense strategy. (AP via CNN)
- South Korean construction workers join truck drivers in going on strike seeking higher pay and lower fuel costs. (Reuters)
- Japan turns away a Taiwan activist boat near the disputed Senkaku Islands in a protest against a ship collision last week. (Reuters)
- Heavy rainstorm and major flooding continues in the South China region. Millions of people are affected in Anhui, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian and Guangdong. Tens of thousands of victims of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake are evacuated due to heavy rains as 65 people are dead or missing with flood warnings on the Yangtze River and Pearl River amongst other rivers. (AFP)
- At least 12 police officers are killed and many more people wounded by a suicide bombing outside a police station in the town of Vavuniya in northern Sri Lanka. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?