Tuesday 16 June 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, directed by Michael Bay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 2009!
Which were the important events of 16 June 2009 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 June
- The Guardian Council is to hold a recount of disputed votes from the country's presidential election. (BBC)
- At least seven people have been killed near a rally in Tehran. (Xinhua)
- Foreign media are banned from covering the protests following the deaths of seven people. (RTÉ)
- Two Reformist politicians are arrested. (Press TV)
- Large demonstrations in support of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Mir-Hossein Mousavi take place in the capital. (BBC)
- The state funeral in Libreville of former President of Gabon Omar Bongo is attended by dignitaries from 40 nations. (Reuters)
- Russia vetoes a plan to extend the United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia. (UN)
- Playwright Brian Friel is honoured with the Ulysses Medal on Bloomsday at University College Dublin. (''The Irish Times'')
- A coal mine collapses in Indonesia, killing at least six people. (Xinhua)
- Documents released to the American Civil Liberties Union state Khalid Sheik Mohammed testified that he made up information after allegedly tortured by the CIA. (UPI)
- China announces plan to provide a US$ 10 billion credit loan to member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. (Xinhua)
- Official campaigning for the 2009 presidential election in Afghanistan begins. (Reuters)
- General Motors agrees Saab sale to Koenigsegg (BBC)
- A Sri Lankan government investigation into human rights abuses during its offensive with Tamil Tiger rebels disbands. (AP)
- 15 laptops containing confidential information owned by Ireland's Health Service Executive are stolen in Roscommon. (''The Irish Times'')
- German economic confidence reaches its highest level for over three years. (RTÉ)
- Sir John Sawers is named head of MI6. (BBC)
- Sammy Sosa, one of six Major League Baseball players to have hit 600 home runs in his career, is reported to have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs during the 2003 season. (''The New York Times'')
- The U.S. Food Drug Administration advised people not to use Zicam intranasal products that contain zinc, due to the risk of anosmia. (US FDA website)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?