Thursday 16 March 1911
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Captain Starlight, or Gentleman of the Road, directed by Alfred Rolfe, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1911.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1911!
Which were the important events of 16 March 1911 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Josef Mengele: German physician and member of the Nazi party who was known as the "Angel of Death" at the Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II.
- Harper Goff in Fort Collins: Colorado, USA; designed interior of Nautilus of film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, designed many Disneyland and EPCOT buildings and attractions, named a Disney Legend in 1993.
- Dr Josef Mengele: German physician and SS officer (d. 1979).
- Pierre Harmel: Belgian eminent politician, the Secretary of State and former Foreign Secretary.
- Stanley Cup: Ottawa Senators beat Port Arthur (Ontario) 13-4.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1911 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Oh That Moonlight Glide - Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in March 1911?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?