Friday 16 March 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to We Are Young by Fun..
21 Jump Street, directed by Phil Lord, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 2012!
Which were the important events of 16 March 2012 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 March
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising: Protests referred to by activists as ampquotThe Friday for International Military Interventionampquot spread from the northern city of Aleppo to the central regions of Hama and Homs, and southern province of Daraa. (Al Jazeera)
- At least ten people, including a woman and two children, are killed after a Turkish NATO helicopter crashes into a house on the outskirts of the Afghan capital Kabul. (Al Jazeera)
- United States Army Staff Sergeant Robert Bales is identified as the suspect in the Kandahar massacre. (''New York Times'')
- American actor George Clooney is arrested at a protest outside the Embassy of Sudan in Washington, D.C. together with Nick Clooney, Martin Luther King III, NAACP President Ben Jealous and several congressmen. (BBC)
- U.S. sportswear company Nike, Inc. controversially gives its new Saint Patrick's Day runner the name ampquotThe Black and Tanampquot, prompting comparisons from concerned netizens with the controversial British paramilitary unit, which was known as the Black and Tans. (''The Irish Times'')
- Dr. Rowan Williams announces his intention to retire as Archbishop of Canterbury at the end of the year. Having headed the Anglican Church since 2003, he will subsequently take up the role as Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge. (Al Jazeera)
- The Commission of Inquiry into the 2010–11 Queensland floods hands down its report with engineers at the Wivenhoe Dam outside Brisbane to be referred to the Crime and Misconduct Commission. (News Limited)
- A tropical cyclone warning is issued for Western Australia's Pilbara and Kimberly regions as Cyclone Lua approaches at Category 3 strength. (TV New Zealand)
- Belgium holds a day of national mourning in memory of the victims of the Sierre bus collision in Switzerland earlier this week. (BBC)
- David Petraeus, the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, is honored with the Grand Cross with swords in the Order of Orange-Nassau in The Hague for his service as a four-star general in Iraq and Afghanistan. (NOS)
- Former Rutgers University student Dharun Ravi is found guilty of a hate crime and invasion of privacy for his role in the suicide of Tyler Clementi. (BBC)
- Nicolae Timofti becomes the fourth President of Moldova, after nearly 3 years without an elected head of state and political stalemate in the country. (AP via ''The Seattle Times'')
- North Korea announces plans to launch a new satellite in honour of regime founder Kim Il-Sung's birthday in April. (Al Jazeera)
- Sachin Tendulkar of India becomes the first cricketer to score 100 international centuries in an Asia Cup match against Bangladesh at the Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium in Dhaka. (AFP via ''Herald-Sun)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 March 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?