Friday 16 May 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, directed by Steven Spielberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Great Performances.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Avalon Code or Boingz.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 May 2008!
Which were the important events of 16 May 2008 ?
- Saint HonorT of Amiens
- Saint Andrew Bobola
- Saint Ubaldus
- Adelaide Cup day - South Australia (2005).
- Saint Simon Stock
- Saint John Nepomuk or John Nepomucene (1330 - 1393)
- Saint Brendan the Navigator - also in the Irish Calendar.
- Teacher's Day in Malaysia.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 May
- 10 people were shot at a branch of the Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation (RCBC) in Cabuyao, Laguna, Philippines, with 9 dead and 1 in critical condition in what could be one of the bloodiest bank robberies in the nation's history. USA Today.com - 9 killed during Philippine bank robbery
- Leonel Fernández is re-elected as the President of the Dominican Republic in the 2008 presidential election. (AP via International Herald Tribune)
- A pipeline explosion near Lagos, Nigeria, kills up to 100 people. (Times Online)
- A strong aftershock to the 2008 Sichuan earthquake knocks out roads and communications to some of the worst affected areas disrupting rescue efforts. (AP via Forbes)
- Former United States Olympic sprinter Tim Montgomery is sentenced to 46 months imprisonment for his involvement in a check fraud and money laundering scheme. (Reuters)
- The United States reaches a deal with North Korea to resume food aid with 500,000 tonnes of food to be sent to North Korea during the next year. (AFP via Google News)
- The State Peace and Development Council in Burma doubles the death toll from Cyclone Nargis to 78,000 with 55,917 people missing and 19,359 people injured. (''The New York Times'')
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport overturns the IAAF's decision to ban South African double-amputee runner Oscar Pistorius from its competitions, thus clearing the way for him to attempt to become the first leg amputee to participate in the Olympic Games. (BBC News)
- The President of the United States George W. Bush arrives in Saudi Arabia to discuss rising fuel prices with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia later announces plans to raise its output by 300,000 barrels a day. (Bloomberg)
- Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin laden leaves an audio message on the Internet vowing to continue the fight against Israel. (RTÉ)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?