Tuesday 16 October 1962
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Laura Coenen and Tamara McKinney.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Monster Mash by Bobby (Boris) Pickett.
In UK Telstar by The Tornados was in the top 5 hits.
Lola, directed by Jacques Demy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Magic Door.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Spacewar!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1962.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 1962!
Which were the important events of 16 October 1962 ?
- Laura Coenen: Neenah, Wisconsin -- Team handball goalie (Olympics - 1988, 92, 96).
- Tamara McKinney: Lexington, Kentucky -- Slalom skier (1984 Olympics - 4th Place).
- Manute Bol: American pro basketball player, the 7 foot 7 inch NBA center came to the US in 1984 as a Dinka tribesman from Sudan to play basketball.
- Flea : Australian-born American musician (Red Hot Chili Peppers).
- Ken Chinn: Canadian singer-songwriter (SNFU and Slaveco.
- Gaston Bachelard: French philosopher who influenced the work of intellectuals in the history of science, psychoanalysis, epistemology and the New Criticism.
- Byron R White becomes a Supreme Court Justice
- Cuban missile crisis began as JFK becomes aware of missiles in Cuba
- KTXT TV channel 5 in Lubbock, TX (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Yanks (20th championship) beat SF Giants 4 games to 3 in World Series
- US President John Kennedy becomes aware of missiles in Cuba.
- New York Yankees (20th championship) beat San Francisco Giants 4 games to 3 in 59th World Series (New York Yankees appear in 12 and win 9 of last 14 World Series).
- Cuban Missile Crisis begins: A U-2 flight over Cuba takes photos on Oct. 14 of Soviet nuclear weapons being installed. A stand-off then ensues for another 12 days after President Kennedy is told of the pictures, between the United States and the Soviet Union, threatening the world with nuclear war.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby (Boris) Pickett - Monster Mash
- The 4 Seasons - Sherry
- The Contours - Do You Love Me
- The Crystals - He's A Rebel
- Frank Ifield - I Remember You
- Dickey Lee - Patches
- Nat King Cole - Ramblin' Rose
- Gene Pitney - Only Love Can Break A Heart
- Booker T. & The M.G.s - Green Onions
- Chris Montez - Let's Dance
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?