Wednesday 16 October 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Scott Donie and Jean-Philippe Gatien.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Hey Jude by The Beatles.
In UK Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin was in the top 5 hits.
Ice Station Zebra, directed by John Sturges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Preserve And Protect by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Pohádky z mechu a kapradí.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 1968!
Which were the important events of 16 October 1968 ?
- Scott Donie: Vicenza, Italy -- Diver (1996 Olympics - 4th Place).
- Jean-Philippe Gatien: French table tennis player, who competed at four Olympics from 1988 to 2000, winning silver in the singles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and bronze in doubles (with Patrick Chila) at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
- Elsa Zylberstein: French film, TV, and stage actress born to a jewish Polish father (physicist) and to a catholic mother.
- Randall Batinkoff: American actor and producer.
- Mark Lee: Singaporean actor and singer.
- Francesco Libetta: Italian pianist composer and conductor
- China reports removal of President Li Sjao-tji
- Czechoslovakia and Russian accord rules allies Soviet forces
- During Olympics, Americans Tommie Smith and John Carlos give black power salute.
- Jim Dorey sets Toronto Maple Leafs penalty records (48 minutess on nine penalties in a game, and 44 minutes on seven penalties in a period).
- Milwaukee Bucks play their first game losing 89-84 to Chicago Bulls.
- Kingston, Jamaica is rocked by the Rodney Riots, inspired by the barring of Walter Rodney from the country.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 October 1968
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
- The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Fire
- O.C. Smith - Little Green Apples
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- The O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher
- The Grass Roots - Midnight Confessions
- The Vogues - My Special Angel
- The Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You
- Gary Puckett - Over You
- James Brown - Say It Loud - I'm Black And I'm Proud (Part 1)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?