Monday 16 October 2006
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to SexyBack by Justin Timberlake.
In UK America by Razorlight was in the top 5 hits.
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, directed by Tom Tykwer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while State of Denial by Bob Woodward was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 2006!
Which were the important events of 16 October 2006 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 October
- Hawaii Earthquake: A magnitude 6.7 earthquake rocks Hawaii, causing property damage, injuries, landslides, power outages, and the closure of Honolulu International Airport.
- UN Security Council election: The United Nations General Assembly elects Belgium, Indonesia, Italy and South Africa to two-year terms on the Security Council, commencing 1 January 2007. The fifth seat remains deadlocked after ten rounds of voting between Guatemala and Venezuela and may be thrown open to other candidates from Latin America and the Caribbean. (BBC)
- United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan condemns movement by Eritrea of 1,500 troops and 14 tanks into the UNMEE-monitored Temporary Security Zone with Ethiopia as a ampquotmajor breachampquot of the ceasefire agreement that ended the Eritrean-Ethiopian War. (ABC News)
- 2006 North Korean nuclear test: The United States confirms that North Korea conducted a nuclear test on October 9, 2006. (FOX News)
- The government of Sudan and the Eastern Front rebels sign a peace treaty in Asmara, Eritrea. (IRIN)
- The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China starts its dual initial public offering (IPO) in Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Shanghai Stock Exchange, in what would be the world's largest ever IPO. (AP via International Herald Tribune)
- Suspected Tamil Tiger rebels detonate a truck packed with explosives amongst a convoy of buses carrying Sri Lankan Navy personnel in the country's northeast. Approximately 102 people are killed, and 150 people are wounded. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- Swedish Minister for Culture Cecilia Stegö Chilò resigns after 11 days in office, the second resignation within the Cabinet of Fredrik Reinfeldt. (BBC)
- The government of Hong Kong will not appeal a court ruling striking down the territory's sodomy law. (365gay.com)
- Uzbek President Islam Karimov fires Saidullo Begaliev, Governor of Andijan, for ampquotshort-sighted policiesampquot and ampquotlack of attention to the people's needsampquot that led to the Andijan massacre in 2005. Karimov appoints Ahmad Usmonov as Begaliev's replacement. (RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?