Sunday 16 October 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
Puss in Boots, directed by Chris Miller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Son of Neptune: The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two by Rick Riordan was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 October 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 October 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 October
- 2011 Libyan civil war: Fighting continues in the city of Bani Walid, one of the few remaining towns loyal to the ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi, between pro-Gaddafi fighters and besieging forces loyal to the National Transitional Council. (BBC)
- 2011 Yemeni protests: At least six people are killed in the Yemeni capital Sana'a after government troops open fire on protesters. These killings constitute the second incident of fatal protest violence in Sana'a in under 48 hours. (MarketWatch)
- War in Somalia (2009-): Kenyan Army troops advance up to 100 kilometers into Somalia to pursue Al-Shabab militants. (Al Jazeera)
- A ceremony is held to officially re-name the English town of Wootton Bassett with the prefix ampquotRoyalampquot in honour of its role in the repatriation of British military personnel killed in action in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is the first town to receive such an honour since 1909. (BBC)
- François Hollande defeats Martine Aubry in a primary runoff election held by the French Socialist Party, becoming the party's official candidate to challenge incumbent President of France Nicolas Sarkozy in the 2012 presidential election. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Voters in Bolivia go to the polls for a judicial election - the first ever held in Latin America - with opposition politicians urging voters to spoil their ballots in protest against the government of incumbent President Evo Morales. (BBC)
- New Zealand defeats Australia 20-6 in the semi-final of the 2011 Rugby World Cup at Eden Park in Auckland, New Zealand. (BBC)
- In motorcycle racing, Australian Casey Stoner wins the 2011 MotoGP World Championship with a victory at the Australian motorcycle Grand Prix. (CNN)
- English auto racing driver Dan Wheldon dies in a crash in the final race of the 2011 IndyCar Series at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, with three other drivers reportedly hospitalised in the crash. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- In baseball, the Saint Louis Cardinals defeat the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2011 National League Championship Series the Cardinals now go on to face the Texas Rangers in the 2011 World Series. (St Louis Today)
- 100-year-old British Indian Fauja Singh is certified by Guinness World Records as being the oldest person ever to complete a full marathon. (''The Tribune'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?