Wednesday 16 September 1953
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Earl Klugh and Gene Taylor.
In UK Look At That Girl by Guy Mitchell was in the top 5 hits.
Mogambo, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Beyond This Place by A.J. Cronin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Loretta Young Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1953!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1953 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Earl Klugh: Jazz pianist / guitarist.
- Gene Taylor: (Rep-D-Mississippi).
- Jerry Pate in Macon: Georgia, USA; PGA golfer (US Open 1976, Canadian Open 1976).
- Lenny Clarke: American entertainer, stand-up comedian and actor.
- Manuel Pellegrini: Soccer Player.
- Alan Barton: English singer and guitarist (Black Lace and Smokie) (d. 1995)
- Kurt Fuller: American actor
- Nancy Huston: Canadian-American author and translator
- Mark Brown: Baron Malloch-Brown English journalist and politician 2nd Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Jerry Pate: American golfer and sportscaster
- Eric Vail: Canadian ice hockey player and sportscaster
- Colin G Fink: US chemist (electro-chemistry).
- AL approves St. Louis Browns move to become Baltimore Orioles
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1953 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?