Saturday 16 September 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Alessandro Cecchi Paone and Mark Parent.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cain's Hundred.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1961 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Alessandro Cecchi Paone: Italian entertainer.
- Mark Parent: Ashland, Oregon -- Catcher (Detroit Tigers).
- William M "Bill" Hicks: Comedian.
- Paone Cecchi: Italian journalist and TV producer of spectacular shows as well as a game show.
- Bilinda Butcher: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (My Bloody Valentine).
- T La Rock: American rapper
- Annamária Szalai: Hungarian journalist economist and politician (d. 2013)
- Yme C Schuitmaker: Potato farmer / dramatist.
- CDU loses West German election
- WLKY TV channel 32 in Louisville, KY (ABC) begins broadcasting
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 September 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?