Saturday 16 September 2006
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to SexyBack by Justin Timberlake.
In UK I Don't Feel Like Dancin' by Scissor Sisters was in the top 5 hits.
The Lives of Others, directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People by Dav Pilke was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 2006!
Which were the important events of 16 September 2006 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 September
- Floyd Curry: Canadian ice hockey player and manager (d. 2006).
- Winners of the 2006 Lasker Awards for medical research are announced. (laskerfoundation.org)
- Pope Benedict XVI Islam controversy:
- Violence erupts when Palestinian militants bombed and engaged in shootings against five churches in the West Bank. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- Hurricane Lane strengthens to a Category 3 hurricane with nearly 125 mph winds as it approaches Mexico's Pacific coast. (CNN)
- Darfur conflict: On the eve of the International Day for Darfur, British Prime Minister Tony Blair insists the government of Sudan must start to ampquotlive up to its obligationsampquot towards the war-torn region. (BBC)
- Iraq insurgency: Baghdad police find 47 corpses across the city, most bound and shot, thought to be more victims of the ongoing sectarian killing that has been taking place in the region and appears aimed at provoking civil war. (Reuters)
- 2006 United States ''E. coli'' outbreak: Bagged spinach recalled in United States after products linked to at least 94 cases of ''E. coli'' in 19 states. (CNN)
- A Delta Air Lines flight makes an emergency landing at Shannon Airport in Ireland. The flight was en route to New York from Shannon itself, and had 276 passengers on board. It was reported that there was smoke in the cabin. (RTÉ)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 September 2006 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?