Sunday 17 April 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Heini Hemmi and Mike Hill.
Champion, directed by Mark Robson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Fred Waring Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 April 1949!
Which were the important events of 17 April 1949 ?
- Pope Anicetus (died 166)
- Saint Gerwin of Oudenburg (d. 1117)
- Saint Landricus
- Blessed Radboud of Louvain (d.1142)
- Saint Stephen Harding (d. 1134)
- Heini Hemmi: Switzerland -- Giant slalom (1976 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Mike Hill: English bishop.
- At midnight 26 Irish counties officially leave the British Commonwealth. A 21-gun salute on O'Connell Bridge, Dublin, ushers in the Republic of Ireland.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Forever and Ever - Margaret Whiting
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?