Tuesday 17 April 2012
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of April people in US were listening to We Are Young by Fun..
Think Like a Man, directed by Tim Story, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 April 2012!
Which were the important events of 17 April 2012 ?
- Pope Anicetus (died 166)
- Saint Gerwin of Oudenburg (d. 1117)
- Saint Landricus
- Blessed Radboud of Louvain (d.1142)
- Saint Stephen Harding (d. 1134)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 April
- South Sudan–Sudan border conflict:
- The Sudanese parliament declares South Sudan “an enemy” and calls for the overthrow of the government of South Sudan. (Times Live)
- The Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, announces a withdrawal of Australian troops fighting the war in Afghanistan by the end of 2013. (BBC)
- Palestinian inmates held in Israeli jails from Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the PFLP and the DFLP go on hunger strike on the Palestinian ampquotPrisoners' Dayampquot. Thousands of people rally in towns and cities in both the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in support of their action, waving Palestinian flags and displaying photos of imprisoned relatives. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah announces that Hezbollah are willing to mediate between the Syrian government and the opposition, in his first interview with the West in six years, in the first episode of a new interview show ''The World Tomorrow'', hosted by Julian Assange. (AFP via Google)
- It is announced that more than 20 writers are still needed for a week-long event to include a poet from every nation competing in the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics: among those attending are Jo Shapcott (Great Britain) and Nobel laureates Seamus Heaney (Ireland) and Wole Soyinka (Nigeria). (''The Guardian'')
- 1996 Turner Prize winner Douglas Gordon becomes the first visual artist to have been nominated for a prize at the Royal Philharmonic Society Music Awards. (BBC)
- Adele Adkins, Kate Bush and PJ Harvey feature on the shortlist for best album at this year's Ivor Novello Awards - the first ever all-female shortlist. (''The Guardian'')
- The shortlist for the Orange Prize for Fiction is announced, featuring Ann Patchett and Anne Enright. (''The Guardian'')
- The St Cuthbert Gospel, the oldest intact European book, is to stay on UK territory due to the £9 million raised for purchase by the British Library. (BBC)
- Billionaire investor Warren Buffett admits he has prostate cancer. (BBC)
- Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics both agree to settlement talks over pending smartphone related patent litigation. These talks have come about at the urging of U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh. (Reuters)
- Port Said Stadium disaster: A hearing of 73 men accused of involvement in the killing of 79 people is adjourned until May 5. (Al Jazeera)
- Senior U.S. officials admit for the first time that the Secret Service prostitution scandal during the 6th Summit of the Americas involved as many as 20 women, 11 American agents and some military personnel. (BBC)
- Spanish foreign minister José García-Margallo y Marfil attacks Argentina over its decision to nationalise YPF, an Argentine oil company in which Spanish company Repsol has a majority shareholding, a decision reported to be popular in Argentina. (BBC)
- Guinea-Bissau is suspended from the African Union one week after a coup d'état. (Al Jazeera)
- Mali appoints Cheick Modibo Diarra, Microsoft chairman for Africa and a former NASA astrophysicist, as its interim prime minister after a coup d'état. (Al Jazeera)
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Fun. - We Are Young
- Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
- The Wanted - Glad You Came
- One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
- Justin Bieber - Boyfriend
- Nicki Minaj - Starships
- Flo Rida - Wild Ones
- Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
- Katy Perry - Part Of Me
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?