Monday 17 August 1953
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Brent Thirsk and Michael Malthouse.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Cruel Sea, directed by Charles Frend, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The High And The Mighty by Ernest K. Gann was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Quatermass Experiment.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1953 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Robert Brent Thirsk: British Columbia, Canada -- Astronaut (STS 78).
- Michael Malthouse: Premiership winning Australian football coach.
- Columba Bush: American news figure married to Jeb Bush, the son of President George Bush.
- Judith Regan: American businesswoman, editor, publisher, writer who became embroiled in controversy and was fired by HarperCollins.
- Mick Malthouse: Australian footballer and coach.
- Herta Müller: Romanian-German poet and author Nobel Prize laureate
- Korrie Rampan: Indonesian author poet and critic (d. 2015)
- Kevin Rowland: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Dexys Midnight Runners)
- Johannes B Tielrooy: Literature (French Living Lesson), dies at 66.
- Addiction: First meeting of Narcotics Anonymous in Southern California.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 August 1953
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?