Monday 17 August 1953
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Cruel Sea, directed by Charles Frend, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The High And The Mighty by Ernest K. Gann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1953 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Judith Regan: American businesswoman, editor, publisher, writer who became embroiled in controversy and was fired by HarperCollins.
- Michael Malthouse: Premiership winning Australian football coach.
- Mick Malthouse: Australian footballer and coach.
- Herta Müller: Romanian-German poet and author Nobel Prize laureate.
- Korrie Rampan: Indonesian author poet and critic (d. 2015).
- Kevin Rowland: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Dexys Midnight Runners)
- Columba Bush: American news figure married to Jeb Bush, the son of President George Bush. They met when he went to school in Mexico. She and her sister, Lucilla Schmidt, both came from a poor Mexican background but married well.
- Robert Brent Thirsk: British Columbia, Canada -- Astronaut (STS 78)
- Johannes B Tielrooy: Literature (French Living Lesson), dies at 66.
- Addiction: First meeting of Narcotics Anonymous in Southern California.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 August 1953 and get them!