Wednesday 17 August 1955
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1955 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Colin Moulding: English bass player, singer and songwriter (XTC).
- Janet Quist Austin TX: Playmate (Dec, 1978).
- Kevin Welch: California, United States -- Country songwriter / actor (Thing Called Love).
- Matthew Manning: British psychic, spiritual healer and author, famed as a teenager for bending metal, treating poltergeists and speaking in languages for which he was not educated.
- Thomas Cross: American homicide.
- Richard Hilton: American businessman
- Hurricane Diane, following hurricane Connie floods Connecticut River killing 190 and doing $1.8 billion damage.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Desmond - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Perry Como - Tina Marie
- Wake The Town And Tell The People - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Chuck Miller - The House Of Blue Lights
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?