Saturday 17 August 1957
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Sun Also Rises, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1957!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1957 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Robin Cousins: British skater, the reigning Olympic figure-skating champion in 1980 winning a Gold Medal.
- Gerald DeConto: American Naval officer killed during the terrorist attack on the Pentagon in Washington, DC on 9/11/2001.
- Ken Kwapis: American director and screenwriter.
- Laurence Overmire: American poet author and actor.
- Richie Ashburn, fouls hit fan Alice Roth twice in same at bat 1st one breaks her nose, 2nd one hits her while she is on the stretcher
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- Nat King Cole - Send For Me
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 August 1957 and get them!