Thursday 17 August 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Tossin' And Turnin' by Bobby Lewis.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Pit and the Pendulum, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1961 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Hervé Morin: French politician, leader of the New Center party and a former French Minister of Defence.
- Jamie Macoun: Newmarket -- NHL defenseman (Toronto Maple Leafs).
- Larry Scott: American actor director and producer.
- Carlos Leon Salzedo: Composer, dies at 76.
- Kennedy administration establishes Alliance for Progress
- US Government establishes Alliance for Progress.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Brenda Lee - Dum Dum
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again
- Connie Francis - Together
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?