Monday 17 August 1970
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Make It With You by Bread.
In UK The Wonder Of You by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Lovers and Other Strangers, directed by Cy Howard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1970.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1970!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1970 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Tammy Townsend: TV Actress.
- Rupert Degas: English actor and voice artist.
- Andrus Kivirähk: Estonian author.
- Øyvind Leonhardsen: Norwegian footballer and coach.
- Karl Unterkircher: Italian-born mountain climber and guide, he was born in the Tyrol in the Dolomites where he found climbing fascinating even as a young man.
- Mark Gebel: American circus performer and noted family, the son of Gunther Gebel-Williams, the Ringling Brothers great animal trainer. Mark learned the business from his dad who turned over his whip on 11/18/1990 after a final performance in Pittsburgh, PA. He works with elephants, horses, and, as of 1999, tigers. His dad died on 7/19/2001.
- Bernard Wilson: NFL defensive tackle (Arizona Cardinals)
- Brad Bretz: WLAF quarterback (Frankfurt Galaxy)
- Jim Courier: American tennis player, won four grand slam tournaments between 1991 and 1993.
- ?yvind Leonhardsen: Norwegian footballer
- Rattana Pestonji: Thai director producer screenwriter and cinematographer (d. 1970).
- Venera 7 (US), 1st softlanding on Venus, launched
- August 18 ampndash The U.S. sinks 418 containers of nerve gas into the Gulf Stream near the Bahamas.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bread - Make It With You
- Carpenters - (They Long To Be) Close To You
- Eric Burdon and War - Spill The Wine
- Edwin Starr - War
- Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
- Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
- Clarence Carter - Patches
- Freda Payne - Band Of Gold
- B.J. Thomas - I Just Can't Help Believing
- Alive and Kicking - Tighter, Tighter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?