Wednesday 17 August 1988
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Nichole Cordova and Aidan Coleman.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Roll With It by Steve Winwood.
In UK The Only Way Is Up by Yazz & The Plastic Population was in the top 5 hits.
The Big Blue, directed by Luc Besson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while The Cardinal Of The Kremlin by Tom Clancy was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cycle Race: Road Man or Desert Commander.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1988!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1988 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Nichole Cordova: Performer (Girlicious).
- Aidan Coleman: Irish jockey.
- Bianca Collins: American actress.
- Brady Corbet: American actor director and screenwriter.
- Natalie Sandtorv: Norwegian singer-songwriter (Morning Has Occurred).
- Mohammad Zia Ul-Haq: President of Pakistan (1978-88), dies at 63.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Jr: American lawyer and politician (Representative-Democrat-New York, 1949-55) dies on 74th birthday (born 1914).
- Victoria Shaw: Australian actress and astrologer.
- Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq: Pakistan military leader, sixth President of Pakistan from 1978 until his death in 1988, having declared martial law for the third time in the country's history in 1977.
- LIRR says Penn station will get air conditioning in 1991
- Republicans nominate George Bush for President
- New York City first case of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (9-year-old Bronx boy).
- Pakistani President Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and U.S. Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1988 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Steve Winwood - Roll With It
- George Michael - Monkey
- Gloria Estefan - 1-2-3
- Elton John - I Don't Wanna Go On With You Like That
- Eric Carmen - Make Me Lose Control
- Chicago - I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
- Breathe - Hands To Heaven
- Terence Trent D'Arby - Sign Your Name
- Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?