Sunday 17 August 2008
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Death Race, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mummy Forensics.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dr. Reiner Knizia's Brainbenders (PAL)Brain Voyage (NA) or Chicken Hunter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 17 August 2008 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 August
- Franco Sensi: Italian businessman and football team owner (Born 1926).
- Michael Phelps wins his record eighth gold medal of the Beijing Games, in the 4x100 medley relay, in record time of 3:29.34. Phelps now holds the record for most gold medals at an Olympics event.
- Ex-president Chen Shui-Bian is barred from leaving Taiwan over corruption charges. (AFP via Google News)
- Gunmen massacre 14 people at a quinceañera celebration in Creel, Chihuahua, Mexico. (Xinhua)
- 2008 Atlantic hurricane season:
- Tropical Storm Fay kills at least 4 people in Haiti and the Dominican Republic before heading for the Florida Keys where tourists are being evacuated. (Bloomberg)
- About 50 people die as a bus is swept away by flood waters near the town of Bomont in Grand-Anse province in Haiti. (BBC News)
- The Afghan National Army kills 28 Taliban insurgents as the militants attempt an ambush of a convoy in Zabul province. (Reuters)
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- Russian troops continue to withdraw from the Georgian city of Gori, where the major Georgian army base was dismantled by Russian troops soon after the conflict ended. Two Russian APCs still remain at a checkpoint near the city, Reuters reports. (Reuters)
- Russia has denied claims its forces have begun withdrawing from the breakaway republic of South Ossetia. (Sky News)
- 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Jamaica dominates the Athletics Women's 100 metres event with Shelly-Ann Fraser taking the gold and Sherone Simpson and Kerron Stewart taking the silver. Officially, no bronze medal is awarded as Simpson and Stewart finish with an equal time of 10.98 seconds in second place. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- Constantina Diṭă-Tomescu of Romania wins the Women's Marathon with a time of 2:26:44. At 38, she is the oldest woman to win the Olympic Marathon.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?