Tuesday 17 August 2010
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Piranha, directed by Alexandre Aja, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Beer and Board Games.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Akai Katana or DJMAX Portable Hot Tunes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 17 August 2010 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 August
- Francesco Cossiga: Italian politician who founded a transitional centrist government which united various parties in 1979.
- At least one person is killed and 20 are injured in two separate explosions in Pyatigorsk and North Ossetia in Russia's North Caucasus. (Voice of Russia)
- The United States confirms the existence of videotapes - found under a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) desk - of the alleged 2002 interrogation of a suspect the country had detained at a secret prison. (''The Washington Times'')
- Hezbollah states it has passed on evidence said to implicate Israel in the 2005 assassination of then Prime Minister of Lebanon Rafic Hariri. (BBC)
- A Ugandan lawmaker accuses the army of committing atrocities against civilians in the Karamoja region as part of a disarmament exercise. (Reuters)
- At least 8 people are killed and 44 are wounded after a bomb attached to a fuel truck explodes in a Shiite section of Baghdad. (AP cia Central Florida News)
- A Palestinian man from Ramallah threatens to blow up the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv, Israel if not offered asylum, but is shot by security staff. (Xinhua)
- Archaeologists in Afghanistan discover the remains of a Buddhist site south of the capital Kabul. (Reuters Africa)
- Fiji officially designates the word ampquotFijianampquot as the term for the nationality of all the people of the islands including Indo-Fijians. The word was previously used only for indigenous inhabitants. (Fijivillage)
- An Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force F4 aircraft crashes in the southern province of Bushehr both pilots survive. (Press TV)
- Tornado has swept threw south western part of Lithuania, near city of Rusnė (Delfi).
- A train derails in Sudbury, Suffolk, UK after hitting a sewage truck on a level crossing, injuring 18 people. Main article: 2010 Sudbury train accident.
- The Chilean military removes 1,000 protesters who had occupied government buildings, museums and a hotel on Easter Island. (Radio New Zealand International)
- 3 more Cuban dissidents released on humanitarian grounds arrive with their families in Madrid, Spain. (BBC)
- Lebanon grants Palestinian refugees the right to work legally. (''Arab News'')
- A U.S. report claims that that the Chinese military has been secretly expanding the U.S. asks for dialogue with China to avert a ampquotmiscalculatedampquot response. (Al Jazeera)
- Two kidnapped Jordanian peacekeepers from the joint African Union - United Nations force in Darfur, Sudan, are released. (Xinhua)
- Police in Tanzania arrest a Kenyan national who was attempting to sell an albino man. (AllAfrica.com)
- Same-sex marriage in the U.S. state of California, due to resume on Wednesday, is blocked by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals until it is decided whether a ban is constitutional. (BBC)
- A federal jury convicts former Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich on one count of lying to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation. The jury is deadlocked on the other 23 charges. ''Chicago Tribune'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?