Wednesday 17 August 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
The Help, directed by Tate Taylor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 17 August 2011 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 August
- A rocket is fired into the compound of the President of Afghanistan in Kabul. (AP via Salon)
- Workers at the Polish Przewozy Regionalne passenger rail network commence a 24-hour strike. (RIA Novosti)
- Verizon Communications says that striking workers who do not return to work by the end of August will lose medical, prescription drug, and related benefits. (Bloomberg)
- The price of gold reaches a new record after the President of Venezuela Hugo Chávez announces plans to nationalize the Venezuelan gold industry. (Dow Jones via ''The Australian'')
- The ''Financial Times'' reports that sources ampquotfamiliar with the situationampquot say Liberty Media is losing interest in a purchase of Barnes Noble, due to financing constraints. (''Financial Times'')
- The Special Tribunal for Lebanon publishes an indictment against Hezbollah members accused in the 2005 assassination of Lebanese Prime Minister Rafic Hariri. (''The Telegraph'')
- A lawyer claims that 25,000 South Koreans will be suing Apple Inc. in relation to alleged privacy breaches in relation to collection of iPhone location addresses. (AP via MSNBC)
- Three sexual assault cases are lodged against the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami. (''Miami Herald'')
- A Toronto Imam is charged in relation to alleged sexual assaults and death threats committed against five victims over the course of three years. (''Toronto Star'')
- A fourth man is charged with murder following the deaths of three men hit by a car in Birmingham, UK, during recent rioting which spread across England. (BBC)
- Vasyl Dzharty, the Prime Minister of Crimea, an autonomous region of Ukraine, dies in office. (''Kyiv Post'')
- Singapore's Presidential Elections Committee approves four presidential candidates for the presidential election on August 27: Tony Tan Keng Yam, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say. (''Wall Street Journal'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?