Friday 17 August 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Go Public: A Documentary Film Project.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dirt: Showdown or Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 17 August 2012 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 August
- Syrian civil war:
- Fighting continues in major cities as Lakhdar Brahimi is named as the new United Nations envoy for Syria. (Reuters)
- War on Terror:
- Afghanistan: ISAF announces two U.S. soldiers are killed by an Afghan policeman. The shooter is also killed. (BBC)
- Afghanistan: Mullah Mohammed Omar orders the Taliban to avoid civilian losses in the conflict. (Reuters)
- Turkey urges its citizens not to travel to Lebanon after the kidnapping of two Turkish nationals. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- More than 60 fishermen are rescued after being abducted by pirates in the Bay of Bengal. (''Bangkok Post'')
- The president of Gabon Ali Bongo calls for calm following clashes between police and anti-government protesters and a subsequent attack on an opposition television station. (IOL)
- North Caucasus insurgency: 4 police officers are killed in an attack near Grozny, the capital of the Russian North Caucasus republic of Chechnya. (RIA Novosti)
- An unusual spider discovered in 2010 is described as a separate family, the Trogloraptoridae. The single species will be named ''Trogloraptor marchingtoni'', after Neil Marchington, a deputy sheriff, amateur biologist and local cave explorer who helped with the discovery. (''San Francisco Chronicle'')
- Médecins Sans Frontières state that Sudanese refugees are in 'humanitarian disaster' in South Sudan. (BBC)
- Jang Song-thaek, the uncle of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, meets Chinese president Hu Jintao. (AFP via Google News)
- A Moscow court convicts three members of Russian punk band Pussy Riot of ampquothooliganism motivated by religious hatred and enmityampquot and jails them for two years. (Al Jazeera)
- Gay pride events are banned in Moscow for 100 years. (BBC)
- The Federal Constitutional Court of Germany rules that the German constitution allows its military to start operations inside Germany, for the first time since 1945. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?