Thursday 17 December 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
3 Idiots, directed by Rajkumar Hirani, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 17 December 2009 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 December
- MV Danny F II sinks off the coast of Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of 44 people and over 28,000 animals.
- Europe is hit by heavy snowfall leading to disruptions in France, Germany, Poland and Spain. (BBC)
- Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray resigns following allegations contained within the Murphy Report. The Vatican accepts his resignation. (Channel News Asia)
- A Nigerian court throws out corruption charges against the former governor of the country's Delta State, James Ibori, saying there was no clear evidence. (BBC)
- Egyptian archaeologists recover from the Mediterranean Sea an ancient temple pylon belonging to the palace complex of Cleopatra. (AP)
- It is revealed that Iraqi militants intercepted live video feeds from U.S. MQ-1 Predator drones, potentially acquiring information they need to evade or monitor U.S. military operations. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- The Pakistani opposition calls on President Asif Ali Zardari to resign after the Supreme Court declared void an amnesty protecting him and other senior officials from corruption charges. (''Hindustan Times'')
- Yemen authorities say 34 suspected Al-Qaeda militants have been killed and 17 captured in raids at hideouts and training camps in the west of the country. (''Dawn'')
- Two of Colombia's main rebel groups, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), announce they are to unite. (BBC)
- The collapse of UK airline Flyglobespan leaves thousands of travellers stranded. (BBC)
- Sahwari activist Aminatou Haidar is hospitalized in Tenerife, Spain, after 32nbspdays of hunger strike protesting against her expulsion by the Moroccan authorities. (''The Age'')
- The Catholic Church condemns as ampquotinappropriateampquot and ampquotdisrespectfulampquot a New Zealand billboard involving nudity and the birth of Jesus Christ. (Japan Today)
- The English High Court grants British Airways an injunction against a proposed twelve day strike by cabin crew represented by trade union Unite scheduled to occur over Christmas. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?