Tuesday 17 February 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Daniel Ray and Richard Karn in Seattle.
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stagger Lee by Lloyd Price.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
The Journey, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while From The Terrace by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Emergency.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 February 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 February 1959 ?
- Saint Evermodus
- Saint Alexis Falconieri (d. 1310)
- Saint Seven Founders of the Servites
- Random Acts of Kindness Day.
- Ancient Latvia - Tanis Diena observed.
- Saint Silvinus
- Roman Empire - Quirinalia in honor of Quirinus.
- Daniel Ray: "Danny" Ainge; basketball and football star.
- Richard Karn in Seattle: Washington, USA; actor (Al - Home Improvement).
- Neil Lomax: American football player.
- Aryeh Deri: Israeli politician, and the former and current leader of the Mizrahi Israeli political party Shas.
- Rowdy Gaines: US swimmer (1984 Olympics - 3 Gold Medals).
- Kathryn Adams: Actress (Meet the Chump, 5th Avenue Girl).
- 1st weather satellite launched, Vanguard 2, 9.8 kg
- First weather satellite launched, Vanguard 2, 9.8kg.
- Project Vanguard: Vanguard 2 : The first weather satellite is launched to measure cloud-cover distribution.
- The United States launches the Vanguard II weather satellite.
- Jesús Sosa Blanco, a colonel in the Cuban army of Fulgencio Batista, is executed in Cuba after being convicted of committing 108 murders for Batista.
- Women in Nepal vote for the first time.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- The Crests - 16 Candles
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- The Platters - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- Bill Parsons - The All American Boy
- Connie Francis - My Happiness
- Jackie Wilson - Lonely Teardrops
- Jack Scott - Goodbye Baby
- Billy Grammer - Gotta Travel On
- Reg Owen and His Orchestra - Manhattan Spiritual
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?