Sunday 17 February 2008
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Low by Flo Rida.
In UK Now You're Gone by Basshunter featuring DJ Mental Theo's Bazzheadz was in the top 5 hits.
Step Up 2: The Streets, directed by Jon M. Chu, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Appeal by John Grisham was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 February 2008!
Which were the important events of 17 February 2008 ?
- Saint Evermodus
- Saint Alexis Falconieri (d. 1310)
- Saint Seven Founders of the Servites
- Random Acts of Kindness Day.
- Ancient Latvia - Tanis Diena observed.
- Saint Silvinus
- Roman Empire - Quirinalia in honor of Quirinus.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 February
- Brian Harris: English footballer (Born 1935).
- Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company recalls 143 million pounds of beef, the USA's largest meat recall in California, due to the slaughter of cattle unfit for human consumption.
- Kosovo declares independence.
- Kosovo formally declares independence from Serbia, with support from some countries but opposition from others.
- The British government introduces emergency legislation temporarily to nationalize Northern Rock, the 5th largest mortgage bank in the UK, due to the bank's financial crisis.
- A general election is held in Pakistan, delayed from January 8 due to riots in the wake of the assassination of Benazir Bhutto. Opposition parties, including Bhutto's, take more than half of the seats, while President Pervez Musharraf's party suffers a huge defeat.
- Fidel Castro announces his resignation as President of Cuba, effective February 24.
- The United States Navy destroys a spy satellite containing toxic fuel, by shooting it down with a missile launched from the ''USS Lake Erie'' in the Pacific Ocean.
- A total lunar eclipse crosses North and South America, Europe, Africa, and Southwest Asia.
- Former building society Northern Rock is the first bank in Europe to be taken into state control, due to the U.S. subprime mortgage financial crisis.
- No survivors are found after a rescue helicopter discovers the wreckage of Santa Bárbara Airlines Flight 518 just northeast of Mérida, Venezuela. The commercial plane had 46 people on board, including crew.
- Cypriot President Tassos Papadopoulos is eliminated in the first round of the Cypriot presidential election. (Reuters)
- Kosovo declares its independence
- Two hand grenades are thrown at international community buildings in Kosovska Mitrovica. (BBC)
- President of the United States George W. Bush offers a $700 million aid package to Tanzania. (AP via Google News)
- Sir David Li resigns from the Executive Council of Hong Kong following a United States Securities Exchange Commission investigation of insider trading in Dow Jones. (AFP)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2008 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?