Friday 17 February 2012
It was Friday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson.
Wanderlust, directed by David Wain, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Descending.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Anna or Marvel vs. Capcom Origins.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 17 February 2012 ?
- Saint Evermodus
- Saint Alexis Falconieri (d. 1310)
- Saint Seven Founders of the Servites
- Random Acts of Kindness Day.
- Ancient Latvia - Tanis Diena observed.
- Saint Silvinus
- Roman Empire - Quirinalia in honor of Quirinus.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 February
- Arab Spring:
- 2011-2012 Syrian uprising:
- The Syrian opposition warns that the Syrian army is preparing to ampquotmassacreampquot the neighborhood of Bab Amr, Homs, in a ground assault on the city. The city has been under constant artillery bombardment by the Syrian army for an 11th day in a row. (CNN)
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Libya celebrates the first anniversary of the start of the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi. (''Hindustan Times'')
- Insurgency in the North Caucasus: Dozens are killed and wounded as fighting intensifies between the Russian forces and the local Muslim insurgents in Chechnya and Dagestan. (RFE/RL)
- Thai police search for two more suspects in an attempted terror attack on Israeli diplomats widely blamed on Iran. (AP)
- United States Capitol Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested Amine El Khalifi, a man from Morocco who allegedly planned a suicide attack on the United States Capitol. (''Washington Post'')
- Security forces in Sudan raid student dormitories at the University of Khartoum, arresting and beating students after they demanded the right to form a union. (Al Jazeera)
- The office of President of Haiti Michel Martelly claims that his motorcade was attacked by people throwing rocks when he was walking through Port-au-Prince. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Archaeological Museum of Olympia robbery:
- Pavlos Geroulanos, the Minister for Culture and Tourism, reportedly resigns after the robbery. (BBC)
- A US Federal Court judge orders Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration to return treasures from the shipwreck of the ''Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes'' to Spain. (AP via ABC News)
- Rupert Murdoch tells staff at ''The Sun'' he will launch a Sunday edition of the newspaper, titled ''The Sun on Sunday'' ampquotvery soonampquot. (BBC)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes at its highest level since May 2008. (CNN)
- Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, a member of the Dutch royal family, is severely injured in an avalanche at an Austrian ski resort and is reported to be in critical but stable condition. (CNN)
- The United Kingdom and France sign a deal to improve cooperation on nuclear energy. (BBC)
- Christian Wulff, the President of Germany, resigns over a corruption scandal. (BBC)
- The Senate of the United States passes a resolution condemning the Government of Syria for its violent crackdown on anti-Assad protests. (Al-Jazeera)
- New Jersey Governor Chris Christie vetoes a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state. ''(The Washington Post)''
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 February 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?