Monday 17 January 1949
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Andy Kaufman in New York City and Debbie Watson in La Mirada.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Your Show Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1949!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1949 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Andy Kaufman in New York City: New York, USA; comedian/actor (Latka Gravas - Taxi).
- Debbie Watson in La Mirada: California, USA; actress (Karen, Tammy).
- Martin Gaffney: American Marine Corp Chief Warrant Officer.
- Andy Kaufman: American actor who performed his off-beat, highly original, stand-up comedy and impressionist routine on TV, in clubs and concerts.
- Indio Solari: Argentine singer and musician.
- Patrick Pera:
- Anita Borg: American computer scientist and academic (d. 2003)
- Gyude Bryant: Liberian businessman and politician (d. 2014)
- Augustin Dumay: French violinist and conductor
- Dick Nanninga: Dutch footballer (d. 2015)
- Mick Taylor: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers and The Rolling Stones)
- The Goldbergs, the first sitcom on American television, first airs.
- The first VW Type 1 to arrive in the United States, a 1948 model, is brought to New York by Dutch businessman Ben Pon. Unable to interest dealers or importers in the Volkswagen, Pon sells the sample car to pay his travel expenses. Only two 1949 models were sold in America that year, convincing Volkswagen chairman Heinrich Nordhoff the car had no future in the U.S. (The Type 1 went on to become an automotive phenomenon.)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra
- Kay Starr - So Tired
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?