Monday 17 January 2011
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
I Saw the Devil, directed by Jee-woon Kim, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Awakened by Kristin Cast, P.C. Cast was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Wild Within.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Alice: Madness Returns or Capsized.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 17 January 2011 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 January
- Don Kirshner: American songwriter and producer (d. 2011).
- An explosion destroys a bus in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan, killing 18. (''The Guardian'')
- A partial curfew is imposed in parts of Karachi, Pakistan, aimed at ending a surge in ethnic and political violence that has claimed 29 lives in the past four days. (''Daily Times'')
- Farmers in Argentina halt sales of wheat, corn and soy in a strike over export curbs. (Al Jazeera)
- Walmart's bid for South African retail store Massmart is approved by shareholders, with organized labour groups such as the Congress of South African Trade Unions threatening boycotts against the store. (Reuters)
- GlaxoSmithKline pays out $3.4 billion last quarter in legal settlings over their drug Avandia. (AP via Google)
- 39 people are killed in South Africa and thousands of homes are destroyed in Mozambique following widespread flooding. (Reuters)
- Hundreds of people are hospitalised after an extreme cold spell in northern Vietnam that has also killed thousands of cows and buffaloes. (''Straits Times'')
- The President of Armenia accuses Turkey of ampquotdestroyingampquot a bid to normalize relations between the two countries, who are locked in a dispute over the mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks during World War I. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Two judges are fired and a court official suspended in China over a life sentence imposed on a man who evaded thousands in motorway toll fees. The ruling is also overturned. (''Global Times'')
- A woman is sentenced to six months imprisonment in Mauritania for keeping two children in slave-like conditions. (BBC)
- Rudolf Elmer, a former Swiss banker of Julius Baer passes files detailing tax evasion attempts by hundreds of politicians, celebrities and business leaders to Wikileaks. (Al Jazeera)
- Nearly 1,400 members of the ruling Communist Party of Vietnam gathers to vote for new leaders. (''Saigon Daily'')
- A man sets himself on fire outside the parliament building in Cairo, Egypt. Copycat burnings also take place in Algeria and Mauritania. (Al Jazeera)
- The leader of the Israeli Labor Party Ehud Barak and four other Labor Party MKs announce their resignation from the party and the formation of a new ampquotcentrist Zionist and democraticampquot faction called ampquotIndependenceampquot. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests: Anti-government demonstrations continue to take place as a new cabinet is named. (Sky News)
- A computer glitch temporarily halts all bullet trains in northern and central Japan, affecting thousands of passengers. (''Japan Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Katy Perry - Firework
- Bruno Mars - Grenade
- Rihanna - What's My Name?
- Ke$ha - We R Who We R
- P!nk - Raise Your Glass
- Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)
- Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow
- The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
- Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are
- Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?