Tuesday 17 July 1917
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Little American, directed by Mary Pickford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1917.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 July 1917!
Which were the important events of 17 July 1917 ?
- Kyoto, Japan - Gion Matsuri
- Various mathematics departments - Yellow Pig's Day
- South Korea - Constitution Day
- Puerto Rico - Luis Mu�oz Rivera's Birthday
- Feast Day of St Cynllo
- Iraq - Ba'ath Revolution Day
- Bijon Bhattacharya: Indian actor singer and screenwriter (d. 1978).
- Lou Boudreau: Major League baseball player and manager (d. 2001).
- Kenan Evren: Turkish general and politician 7th President of Turkey (d. 2015).
- Red Sovine: American country music singer (d. 1980).
- Phyllis Diller: American comedienne who exploded on stage in San Francisco in 1954, wearing a sequined mini-dress and an orange fright-wig, gold ankle-high boots and black satin opera gloves.
- Lou Bourdeau: Baseball player / manager (1948 AP Athlete of Year)
- Christiane Rochefort: French feminist writer. She was born into a left-wing working class Parisian family; her father joined the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War. Rochefort worked as a journalist and spent fifteen years as a press attache to the Cannes Film Festival before publishing her first novel, Le Repos du guerrier (The Warrior's Rest), in 1958. Like several of her later novels, Le Repos du guerrier was a bestseller; in 1962 it was adapted into a popular film directed by Roger Vadim and starr
- British Royal family changes its name from Hanover to Windsor.
- King George V of the United Kingdom issues a Proclamation stating that the male line descendants of the British royal family will bear the surname Windsor.
- The Parliament of Finland, dominated by Social Democrats, passes the ampquotPower Lawampquot, declaring itself holder of the former Tsar's sovereignty in the Grand Principality of Finland. The Russian Provisional Government does not recognize the law, as it would alter the relationship between Finland and Russia into a real union, with Russia solely responsible for the defence and foreign relations of Finland with no more say in the country's internal affairs.
- The Corfu Declaration, which enabled the establishment of the post-war Kingdom of Yugoslavia, is signed by the Yugoslav Committee and the Kingdom of Serbia.
- (July 7, O.S.) ndash Alexander Kerensky becomes premier of the Russian Provisional Government, replacing Prince Georgy Lvov.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- You're in Love - Lyric Quartet
- I'm a Twelve O'Clock Fellow in a Nine O'Clock Town - Byron G. Harlan
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?