Friday 17 July 1981
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mélanie Thierry and Hely Ollarves.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes.
In UK Ghost Town by The Specials was in the top 5 hits.
Blow Out, directed by Brian De Palma, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while Noble House by James Clavell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Bellamy.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Colony 7 or Jump Bug.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 July 1981!
Which were the important events of 17 July 1981 ?
- Kyoto, Japan - Gion Matsuri
- Various mathematics departments - Yellow Pig's Day
- South Korea - Constitution Day
- Puerto Rico - Luis Mu�oz Rivera's Birthday
- Feast Day of St Cynllo
- Iraq - Ba'ath Revolution Day
- Mélanie Thierry: French stage and film actress, best known for her role as Aurora in "Babylon A.D.
- Hely Ollarves: Venezuelan track and field athlete.
- Elpida Romantzi: Greek archer.
- Raigo Toompuu: Estonian shot putter.
- This is Burlesque closes at Princess Theater NYC after 28 performances
- Fulton County (Atlanta) grand jury indicts Wayne B William 23 year old photographers, for murder of 2 of 28 blacks killed in Atlanta
- Israeli bombers destroy PLO / al-Fatah headquarters in Beirut
- Israeli aircraft bomb Beirut, destroying multi-storey apartment blocks containing the offices of PLO associated groups, killing approximately 300 civilians and resulting in worldwide condemnation and a U.S. embargo on the export of aircraft to Israel.
- A structural failure leads to the collapse of a walkway at the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, Missouri killing 114 people and injuring more than 200.
- The opening of the Humber Bridge by HM The Queen in England.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes
- George Harrison - All Those Years Ago
- Air Supply - The One That You Love
- Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - You Make My Dreams
- Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira
- Joey Scarbury - Theme From The Greatest American Hero (Believe It Or Not)
- Kenny Rogers - I Don't Need You
- Pointer Sisters - Slow Hand
- The Manhattan Transfer - Boy From New York City
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?