Friday 17 July 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Orphan, directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 17 July 2009 ?
- Kyoto, Japan - Gion Matsuri
- Various mathematics departments - Yellow Pig's Day
- South Korea - Constitution Day
- Puerto Rico - Luis Mu�oz Rivera's Birthday
- Feast Day of St Cynllo
- Iraq - Ba'ath Revolution Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 July
- Former CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite, "the most trusted man in America," dies in New York at age 92.
- Jakarta double bombings at the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton Hotels killed 9 people including 4 foreigners.
- Footage of FARC leader Jorge Briceño saying he financed Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa's 2006 campaign is broadcast on Colombian television. (AFP)
- Timothy Kirkhope MEP defends alleged homophobic remarks made by European Conservatives and Reformists' leader Michał Kamiński in a television interview. (BBC)
- Pope Benedict XVI slips in the bath in his mountain chalet and is treated for a fractured wrist in Aosta, Italy. (''The Telegraph'')
- A second person dies from the collapse of a stage being built in Marseille for Madonna's forthcoming tour to France. (''The Times'')
- Irish President Mary McAleese announces her intention to convene a meeting of the Council of State on 22 July. (''The Irish Times'')
- Brazil complains of 64 containers with over 1,400 tonnes of British used condoms, syringes and rotting nappies located in three of the country's ports. (Sky News)
- Two journalists from South Africa and the United Kingdom are due in court after being allegedly attacked and then arrested while filming seal hunters in Namibia. (BBC)
- Hong Kong appoints a new chief executive of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority. (SCMP)
- Ruslan Balayev, Ingushetia's minister for sport, is shot dead in his car. (''The Irish Times'')
- Ghana is set to receive a US$600 million three-year loan from the International Monetary Fund. (Reuters)
- The World Bank approves a US$76 million loan for Mozambique. (Reuters Africa)
- An argument between the National Portrait Gallery and online encyclopedia Wikipedia over use of images escalates. (BBC)
- Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani holds Friday prayers in Tehran and calls for the release of political prisoners from the election protests. (Press TV)
- At least 14 people, including 11 Serbian tourists, are killed and at least 10 tourists are injured in a bus collision with a lorry on a road near Port Safaga, Egypt. (Reuters Africa)
- 22 prominent figures, including Poland's Lech Wałęsa and the Czech Republic's Václav Havel, warn in an open letter to the Barack Obama administration against developing closer ties with Russia. (''The New York Times'')
- BBC staff's expenses claims are revealed to include candles, flowers, champagne and a hamper. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- 49 members of a Sicilian Mafia syndicate are jailed in Italy in what the government describes as a landmark case. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
- Best I Ever Had - Drake
- Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
- Lady GaGa - LoveGame
- Sean Kingston - Fire Burning
- Birthday Sex - Jeremih
- Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
- Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
- Linkin Park - New Divide
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?