Saturday 17 July 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to California Gurls by Katy Perry.
Erotikon, directed by Mauritz Stiller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching After Hours.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Brunswick Zone Cosmic Bowling or The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 July 2010!
Which were the important events of 17 July 2010 ?
- Kyoto, Japan - Gion Matsuri
- Various mathematics departments - Yellow Pig's Day
- South Korea - Constitution Day
- Puerto Rico - Luis Mu�oz Rivera's Birthday
- Feast Day of St Cynllo
- Iraq - Ba'ath Revolution Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 July
- Dozens of English football fans clash with dogs and riot police in a busy shopping square in York, causing its closure. (BBC)
- At least 50 automobiles sustain burns in Grenoble, France, as people protest the fatal shooting of a man by police. The man was shot during a chase following a robbery after firing on police. (News24.com)
- 300 JEM rebels and 86 Sudanese Army soldiers are killed in Darfur. (Aljazeera)
- At least eight people are killed by machete-wielding attackers near Jos, Nigeria in scenes reminiscent of events earlier this year. (Aljazeera)
- South Korea develops a long-range cruise missile capable of striking North Korea, Japan, Russia and China. (WAtoday)
- Suspected militants armed with assault rifles attack a bus in northwest Pakistan near the Afghanistan border, resulting in at least 16 casualties. (ABC Australia Online)
- Thousands of mourners gather in Zahedan for a mass funeral for those killed in recent bombings Iranian officials indicate that they believe the West carried out the atrocities. (BBC)
- The Mexican military says Thursday's attack in Ciudad Juárez was a car bomb. (Aljazeera)
- Tens of thousands of people take part in a landmark European gay rights rally in Warsaw, the first time Europride is being held in Central and Eastern Europe. (BBC)
- Film director Roman Polanski appears in public for the first time since being released from house arrest, watching his wife perform at the Montreux Jazz Festival. (Reuters)
- The Welsh language is spoken for the first time in a ceremony at England's Westminster Cathedral in honour of martyred saint John Roberts. (BBC)
- 30 bottles of champagne believed to pre-date the French Revolution are found on the Baltic seabed off the coast of Finland it may be the world's oldest drinkable champagne. (News24.com)
- British tour operator Goldtrail collapses, stranding thousands of holidaymakers abroad. (''The Age'')
- Israeli settlements dump untreated chemical waste directly into a sewage canal that runs through agricultural land in the West Bank, giving Palestinians skin and respiratory illnesses. (Aljazeera)
- Typhoon Conson makes landfall near Hai Phong, Vietnam, after devastating Southern China and the Philippines with at least 65 dead. (NDCC)
- One month after Israel's announcement it was easing its Gazan blockade the humanitarian situation remains dire. (Sky News)
- More than 2,000 firefighters fight a fire at the port of Dalian after two oil pipelines explode. (BBC)
- Greece experiences its first forest fires of the summer season. (WAtoday)
- Twenty-eight coal miners die after a fire in their mine near Hancheng City in China's Shaanxi Province. (CRI English)
- German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle criticises a reported Israeli plan that would lead to Gaza's separation from the rest of the Palestinian territories becoming final. (''The Hindu'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 July 2010
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2010 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?