Monday 17 June 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tony Marlow and Marcel Aubour.
The Mortal Storm, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 June 1940!
Which were the important events of 17 June 1940 ?
- St. Albert Chmielowski.
- National holiday of West Germany until 1990, see Workers' Uprising of 1953 in East Germany.
- Iceland's national day, celebrating independence from Denmark in 1944.
- Tony Marlow: MP (Conservative).
- Marcel Aubour: French international football (soccer) player, the first goalkeeper for France in the FIFA World Cup 1966.
- Annick Beauchamps: French actress from 1955.
- Bobby Bell: American pro football player, voted into the Hall of Fame in 1983.
- Annik Beauchamps: Cauderan-Bordeaux Journalist.
- George Akerlof: American economist and academic Nobel Prize laureate
- France asks Germany for terms of surrender in WWII
- General De Gaulle departs Bordeaux for London
- Germany occupiers ration bread in Holland
- USSR occupies Estonia
- World War II: Operation Ariel begins : Allied troops start to evacuate France, following Germany's takeover of Paris and most of the nation.
- The three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania fall under the occupation of the Soviet Union.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?