Wednesday 17 June 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Thierry Brac de La Perrière and Susan Forrest.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to The Battle Of New Orleans by Johnny Horton.
In UK Roulette by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Porgy and Bess, directed by Otto Preminger, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 June 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 June 1959 ?
- St. Albert Chmielowski.
- National holiday of West Germany until 1990, see Workers' Uprising of 1953 in East Germany.
- Iceland's national day, celebrating independence from Denmark in 1944.
- Thierry Brac de La Perrière: French Catholic priest, who served as Bishop of Nevers since August 2011.
- Susan Forrest: American writer, winner of a Pulitzer Prize for her newspaper, Lawrence Eagle-Tribune, in 1988 for her aggressive reporting, winning interviews and breaking stories that no one else could get.
- Lawrence Haddad: South African-English economist and academic.
- Nikos Stavropoulos: Greek basketball player and coach.
- Abdul Mouse: Indonesian nationalist foreman / author, dies at about 68.
- Eamon de Valera elected President of Ireland
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Freddy Cannon - Tallahassee Lassie
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?