Saturday 17 June 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.
In UK Surrender by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Guns of Navarone, directed by J. Lee Thompson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 June 1961!
Which were the important events of 17 June 1961 ?
- St. Albert Chmielowski.
- National holiday of West Germany until 1990, see Workers' Uprising of 1953 in East Germany.
- Iceland's national day, celebrating independence from Denmark in 1944.
- Kōichi Yamadera: Japanese actor and singer.
- Gérard Suresnes: French radio personality on the Fun Radio station.
- Koichi Yamadera: Japanese seiyu, actor and tarento.
- Jeff Chandler [Ira Grossel]: Actor (Away all boats), dies at 40.
- Billy Barnes People closes at Royale Theater NYC after 8 performances
- 61st US Golf Open: Gene Littler shoots a 281 at Oakland Hills, Michigan
- Russian ballet dancer Rudolph Nureyev defects to west in Frankfurt
- The New Democratic Party of Canada is founded with the merger of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (CCF) and the Canadian Labour Congress.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1961 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?