Tuesday 17 March 1959, St. Patrick's Day
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK As I Love You by Shirley Bassey was in the top 5 hits.
The Diary of Anne Frank, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1959!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1959 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Terry Hall: (Special, Fun Boy 3).
- Brian Douglas Jones in Auckland: New Zealand; tornado class yachter (Olympics-1996).
- Mike Lindup: British rock keyboardist/singer (Level 42 - "Hot Water").
- Christian Clemenson: American actor.
- Danny Ainge: American basketball player, the one-time coach of the Phoenix Suns.
- Paul Black: American singer-songwriter and drummer (L.A. Guns)
- Australia and the USSR restore diplomatic relations
- Dalai Lama flees Tibet for India
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?